Gooey caramel and dark chocolate chips mixed in with a cookie base. So good!
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking dish with foil and generously coat with nonstick cooking spray.
2. With an electric mixer, beat the softened butter and sugar together until light and fluffy for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, vanilla, salt, and baking soda. Mix well and scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
3. Turn the mixer to low speed and add the flour. Mix to combine then stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Press down half of the cookie dough mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
5. In a medium pot combine the sweetened condensed milk and unwrapped caramels. Stir over medium-low heat and stir until the caramels melt and the mixture is smooth. Pour the filling evenly over the cookie dough base.
6. Drop teaspoon sized amounts of the remaining cookie dough over the caramel layer.
7. Bake the bars for 25-30 minutes until the center is set.
8. Sprinkle the bars with sea salt and allow them to cool completely. Lift the bars out of the pan by the edges of the foil and cut. Store in an airtight container for up to three days.